A Vehicle Routing Profile is a collection of settings that ensure CoPilot's routing algorithm knows the type of vehicle being driven, so it can apply all legal and physical road restrictions when generating the route. Routing Profiles also include customizable settings that take into account a fleet’s preferences for how a vehicle should be routed.
Routing Profiles can be created and assigned to Vehicle Groups in Account Manager or FleetPortal, and profiles are automatically synced between the two applications.
Create a Routing Profile
- On the Configure Fleet screen, click New Routing Profile.
- In the New Routing Profile dialog, enter a Routing Profile Name. This is the name a driver will see in his or her CoPilot device. We recommended assigning a unique name so drivers can easily select the appropriate routing profile if they have multiple profiles on their device.
- Pick your vehicle from the Select Vehicle Profile drop-down. Once you select a vehicle, all of the other fields in the New Routing Profile dialog will be populated with information based on that vehicle. These are the default settings Trimble MAPS recommends for that vehicle. If you would simply like to use those settings, you can go ahead and assign that profile to a Vehicle Group or multiple groups. Read more about preset profiles.
Customize a Routing Profile
After selecting your vehicle in the Select Vehicle Profile drop-down, you can customize the preset Profile Settings. Choose the options grouped under Vehicle Dimensions, Routing Preferences and Restrictions.
|Maximum Width||Maximum Width of combined vehicle including trailer|
The industry standard limit for width is 102". Anything over 96" will force routing on the National Network + State Extensions to be legal in the U.S. The groupings should be 102" or 96", lower widths will not impact routing.
|Total Weight||Weight of combined vehicle including trailer|
Input the truck/tractor's GVWR (gross vehicle weight registration) as authorities are concerned about GVWR and not the actual loaded weight.
|Maximum Height||Maximum Height of combined vehicle including trailer|
The industry standard limit for height is 13'6". To simplify the creation of profiles, please note that every 6" is significant. For example, all trailers at 12'1", 12'3", 12'6" should be assigned a profile with 12'6".
|Total Length||Length of straight Truck/Van or combined vehicle’s trailer|
|Total Weight per Axle||Maximum weight per group of axle|
|State + National Network||(U.S. Only) Check to set whether routes should favor using the U.S. Federally designated National Network |
Note: By default this checkbox will be selected automatically based on vehicle dimensions.
|Routing Type||Set CoPilot routing algorithm - Practical or Shortest|
Note: Practical will generate a route on CoPilot with an effort to reduce the number of stops, turns and avoid traffic. Shortest will generate a route on CoPilot with the shortest distance but may take longer due to more stops, turns, and traffic.
|Toll Roads||Set toll preference - Use, Avoid If Possible and Avoid Always|
|Ferries||Allow or Discourage using Ferries along the route|
|Governor Speed Limit||Check the box to use a maximum road speed in route travel time calculations, and then enter a custom value or use the 55 mph default.|
|Allow International Border Crossing||Uncheck to minimize the number of international border crossings, unless they are necessary to reach all of the stops on a route. For example, if all your stops are in the “lower 48” United States, the resulting route will stay in the United States even if the most practical or shortest route would normally involve some Canadian mileage. If you leave the box checked, the routing algorithm will ignore international boundaries in generating the best route.|
|Discourage Elevation Routing Above||Check the box and then enter an elevation in feet to set a customized limit on the elevation of the roads a route will use. Elevations at or above this height will be avoided on a route unless 1) it is extremely impractical to do so; or 2) a stop or destination on the route is located at the higher elevation.|
|Hazmat||Avoid roads with the selected Hazmat restrictions|
|Display Restrictions||Display road restrictions to Drivers in the CoPilot Navigation Screen|
Assign a Routing Profile
Once you have completed all of your Routing Profile settings, if any, you can assign the profile to a Vehicle Group in one of two ways:
- Under Assign this profile to Vehicle Group(s), check the box next to the groups to which you would like to assign the new profile.
- Check the Set as Default box and the profile will be assigned to every Vehicle Group created in the future. If you would also like to assign it to existing Vehicle Groups, it must be selected under Assign this profile to Vehicle Group(s).
Once you have assign the profile, click Save to save your changes and exit the New Routing Profile dialog.